Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Activation DAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow.... We have blast off! I will try to describe what is indescribable.
The first hour of hook-up was full of sound but only in my head, they where setting levels and stuff through a body -worn processor. I heard a bunch of sounds or beep series that were loud but not painful. Everything was working great they said and it was time to turn it on. Boy what a surprise, but not a shock! I am pleased to say my ci friends had prepared me well. Everyone has told me how bad it would be at first and guess what, they were right!!!! I sounded so weird and I could not understand anything. Everyone was talking and asking me questions. It was all just to much to take in. After a few minutes things started to settle down and it went from really bad to 'ok this is interesting'.

I listened and asked 'what is that sound' often. We moved up three levels in volume in about 45 minutes. I was then shown all my wires and stuff; good thing we drove the van for all the accessories. Then they put the programs in my little 3G behind the ear processor. I was very confused by all the sound and did not do very well with setting up next mapping or saying our good -byes. On the way to lunch with family and friends I was feeling overwhelmed but not to disappointed. The restaurant was very noisy and I had to speech read everyone, I was understanding nothing aurally.
First ci moment came as we were leaving, in the parking lot my son asked if I could hear the birds. The interstate was very close and I first said ,"no; all I hear is the roar of traffic", but then I stopped and listened very close......BIRDS!!!!!
I could hear the birds and over the traffic. I thought everyone was going to cry.
On the way home Seth my 10 year old told me 'Mom I am so proud of you', Matthew (16) dittoed it. Now I was really fighting tears.

On our deck at home we listened to more birds visiting the new bird feed a faith gift my sister gave me the day after my surgery. (Denise - I hear the birds,
Thank you) In the house I hear this strange little sound that turns out to be our dogs toenails on the wood floor. I am thinking - doggie slippers were just invented.(smile) It's been a big day and it only 2pm, nap time.

Mark and I met friends for dinner (Jerry and Evelyn, he is a fellow ci-er). Same thing the place was noisy but I did ok comparing hookup and surgery stories. Evelyn rode with us over to the hospital where we have our SHHH meeting. While in the car I noticed how much I was hearing her voice. She is very soft and has always been hard for me to understand. I said " I think I hear you so well I could understand you with my eyes closed". Mark was quick to challenge me to try. I COULD HEAR HER EVERY WORD!!!! I am just amazed how much better I am doing in just a few hours.
I am so tired from all the sound and excitement, I must call it a day. Thanks for letting me share.
Warmly,

Susan

No comments: