Monday, February 28, 2005

I was trained and mapped today, it made for a great day!

I feel so positive today. I went to auditory training this morning. Susie the audiologist who is working with me, and is one of best, noted that I was having trouble discriminating t,p,h,m and n, in isolated words. She shows me pictures and then says a word and I have to show her what she has said, making fun of some of the pictures as we work. Susie has also ordered the "Sound and Beyond" software, which I am looking forward to working with. I then had an appointment for my third mapping.

Aimee my new greatest audi was so informative and great today. She used a audiogram that shows where different sounds are as far as loudness and frequencies. She then put in my old measurements, before the implant, and then my new measurements, which I have posted below. CI stands for where I was testing today at the volume I was wearing it when I was missing words in therapy. CI-2 is where I tested it when I turned the processor up to the volume level the computer suggested. Well, as you can see it brings me to near-normal hearing. Perception is another matter, but I am getting there too.

Aimee also made a few changes that I am really liking so far. She changed "sensitivity" to "volume" control and added "sound processing" this will cut down the obtrusively loud sounds. So far so good,ok really, I am loving it. I came home with it on mid volume, P1 and I have already worked up to P2 mid volume. I have had water running and it is not overwhelming like before. I can hear my fountain and it sounds about the level I would think it should. I still don't like the sound of a chip bag, but hey maybe it's time to give up chips. I feel like I am back on my cloud again. By the way, we saw a gorgeous rainbow this evening, it's been a very good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you and can not believe the progress you have made. Just wanted to test leaving a comment. Love, love, love love you-Denise